When I brake and turn left, the car goes right??
Retro Racing 64
Retro Racing 64
This is a simple F1 racing game for the 32bit jam 2022.
It works on the web as well as on mobile, and I added a windows build just in case the web version doesn't work well on your device.
I've been wanting to make a low poly racing game for a while now and the 32bit jam seemed like the perfect opportunity to give it a shot.
I don't usually do 3D games so I treated this project as an educational experience. I already had made a very basic prototype a few years ago but the car physics was awful, it didn't work on mobile, and it didn't have leaderboards. So I decided the rewrite it from scratch, fix all those issues, and add more features.
My initial goal was way more ambitious than what I ended up submitting. I wanted to have procedurally generated tracks, several locations, and car customization. However, for personal reasons I didn't have as much time as I expected, so I had to cut a lot of that stuff and ended up settling for a single handmade track and a single car with no customization. Being realistic though, even with the full two weeks I probably wouldn't be able to meet my goals anyway.
Despite my unreasonable expectations, I'm happy with the results and I had a lot of fun working on this.
- Programming by Ricardo Moran
- Music: HexaPuppies Synthwave 80s Retro Music Pack by DavidKBD
- Countdown SFX: Countdown by Destructavator
- Engine SFX: Car Engine Loop by qubodup
- New record SFX: Ta Da! by Mike Koenig
- Fonts: CATV 6X12 9 by HolyBlackCat
- Fonts: Tomorrow by Tony de Marco and Monica Rizzolli
- Fonts: UniCons by Juergen Krausz
- Fonts: Super Mario 256 by fsuarez913
- Onscreen Controls by Kenney
- Modular Characters by Kenney
- UI Theme: Kenney's UI Theme by azagaya (and Kenney)
Click download now to get access to the following files: